dnicolayev

Active duty, state of residency is CA. We live in NC. Which option do I choose?

I'm active duty stationed in NC.  Earn income form NC in the form of rentals.  My state of residency is CA.  The only options to choose are Just NC, more than one state of residence, or made money in NC but didnt live there. Which do I choose?  If I choose the last, do I put my income from the military as out of state income?

MargaretL

In TurboTax, when going through Personal Info section, be sure to select that you a member of U.S. Armed Forces and select CA in the Tell us the state(s) you live in section.   Your SLR state is considered your resident state as long as you are on active duty. Even if you are stationed in another state, you’re still considered a resident of your SLR state.  

Also, indicate that you did not live in another state (the very next question in the Personal Info).

TurboTax will ask if you made money in another state. Select Yes and enter NC as the state. When filing nonresident return for NC, you military income is out of state income.

MargaretL