turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-R

I am ready to file my state taxes......but I keep getting a message that says I should not have entered my tax-exempt pension on Form 1.   It says I should have entered it on the federal form or the 1099-R, which I did.

When I remove the figures it says I owe State tax...….I live in Massachusetts and my retirement is tax exempt.  Not sure what to do.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
KML
Returning Member

1099-R

Having similar problem w/my MA return.  Says something about not entering exempt 1099R income on Form 1.  I did not enter anything about exempt income.  Deleted offending 1099R and reentered, but error still coming up.  Does TurboTax have some live person to discuss this with?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

1099-R

Go back to the Federal section of the program.

1. Select Income & Expenses
  2. Select "IRA,401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R)
  3. Select "Edit" under the appropriate 1099-R form
  4. Proceed to answer through the screens until you see "Select Your State".  (You should see this after enter your details from the 1099-R, and the question asking if you are a public safety officer.

Make sure you have select MA here.

Confirm state

Be sure you have select MA here and ensure you answer all of the following questions.  It may just be a matter or answering yes to a particular question to ensure the error message goes away.

If you are still having issues, see the information on the following link to contact us.

Contact TurboTax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
19IR37
Returning Member

1099-R

1099-R FROM STATE OF CT IS PENSION  THAT I RECEIVE FROM MY DECEASED HUSBAND'S RETIREMENT

PLAN  TURBO TAX IS TREATING IT AS AN IRA OR ANNUITY   WHAT DO I DO TO CHANGE THAT?

19IR37
Returning Member

1099-R

1099-R  FROM STATE OF CT IS A PENSION I RECEIVE FROM MY DECEASED HUSBAND'S RETIREMENT PLAN

TURBO TAX IS TREATING IT AS AN IRA OR AN ANNUITY HOW DO I FIX THIS?

1099-R

Pensions and annuities are both reported the same way on the 1040 form line 4c and 4d.

It is not an IRA if the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box is not checked.

What code is in box 7?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

1099-R

Selecting the State is nowhere to be found so not sure where you're even getting that.   Turbo Tax doesn't have a clue and you have to pay to speak to a tax person.   Not paying just for one question.

DaveF1006
Employee Tax Expert

1099-R

When you work on your 1099R in your return and enter your pension income, you will eventually come to a screen that says Select Your State. You will need to continue the navigation after you enter your 1099R to reach this screen.

1. Select Massachusetts
  2. Select the category your retirement income falls under.  if it doesn't fall under and of those classifications, then that income is not excluded. , 
  3. The next screen will ask if it is a qualified plan. It must be a qualified plan in order to be exempt..
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies