mtf1

1099 contractor, multiple states

I was physically working in the CT office for a small subsidiary of a conglomerate based on NJ. In mid -2019, the parent shut this office and moved it to NJ. I continued to work remotely for the relocated company at home in CT and never set foot in NJ. Can the earnings after the shutdown be added to my CT tax return (along with the CT office’s earnings) or do I now have to also file a NJ return for that portion?

DianeC958

1099 contractor, multiple states

No you do not need to file in New Jersey since you performed the work in Connecticut.  

The income you earn is taxable to the state where the services were performed, which is your case is Connecticut.

mtf1

1099 contractor, multiple states

Thanks! One follow-up question, if I receive a 1099 from the NJ company, does this change anything and is there any proactive action I can take to prevent an audit by NJ?

RobertG

1099 contractor, multiple states

No, that should not make any difference.  1099s commonly have addresses in States other than the one the recipient lives in.  This will not raise any red flags in New Jersey.