turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rgerrety

State Taxes for Raffle (Gambling) Winnings

I recently won the 50/50 raffle at a sporting event in Illinois but I live in DC. I want to make sure I put aside enough to cover the state taxes that will be due in 2020. The check for the winnings already had 24% deducted presumably for the federal taxes estimate. 

From my research, I gather that I will still have to report the winnings as income but the Fed taxes that they already took out should cover the fed portion (or is supposed to pending my actual tax bracket). My question is, will I have to pay both the IL gambling tax (5%) in addition to the DC gambling tax (8.5%) or will it by 5% to IL and then it is credited to DC and only have  3.5% as additional?

I think I will still have to file the W2G with IL but DC will tax the whole thing as income so i am wondering if they will credit what is already paid to IL. Basically, should I set aside 8.5% or 13.5% of the total winnings to pay for state taxes during 2020 tax return time. 

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@rgerrety wrote:

...will I have to pay both the IL gambling tax (5%) in addition to the DC gambling tax (8.5%) or will it by 5% to IL and then it is credited to DC and only have  3.5% as additional?

You will pay the the circa 5% (4.95% currently) to Illinois as a non-resident and then receive credit on your DC return (see below and note the worksheet on page 25 of the DC instructions).

Non-refundable credits include:

1. Out of State tax credit. The amount DC domiciliary taxpayers may claim as a credit for individual income tax paid to other state(s) if the income taxed by that state is derived from that state and that income is of a kind taxed by DC. The tax paid to a state is the total state tax liability shown on the state tax return. (It is not the state withholding shown on your Form W-2.) The credit is limited to the rate of tax charged in the District. If you are a statutory resident, the state in which you are domiciled gives you a credit for the taxes paid to DC.

See page 25: https://otr.cfo.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/otr/publication/attachments/2018%20D-40%20BOOK%2...

View solution in original post

1 Reply

@rgerrety wrote:

...will I have to pay both the IL gambling tax (5%) in addition to the DC gambling tax (8.5%) or will it by 5% to IL and then it is credited to DC and only have  3.5% as additional?

You will pay the the circa 5% (4.95% currently) to Illinois as a non-resident and then receive credit on your DC return (see below and note the worksheet on page 25 of the DC instructions).

Non-refundable credits include:

1. Out of State tax credit. The amount DC domiciliary taxpayers may claim as a credit for individual income tax paid to other state(s) if the income taxed by that state is derived from that state and that income is of a kind taxed by DC. The tax paid to a state is the total state tax liability shown on the state tax return. (It is not the state withholding shown on your Form W-2.) The credit is limited to the rate of tax charged in the District. If you are a statutory resident, the state in which you are domiciled gives you a credit for the taxes paid to DC.

See page 25: https://otr.cfo.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/otr/publication/attachments/2018%20D-40%20BOOK%2...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies