Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Had to pay state submission fee twice. How to get a refund w/o calling TT?

I tried submitting my 2018 tax using 2018 TT Premier State&Federal, but the program had a bug that a TT agent wasn't able to fix (we weren't able to delete a form whose incorrect info. was preventing me from being able to submit), so he authorized me to get a free upgrade to 2018 TT Home&Business State&Federal, and I submitted my taxes using that.  

I'd already paid the extra $24.95 state submission fee when I tried (and failed) to submit using 2018 Premier.  The problem is that when I went to submit using 2018 Home&Business (which I was able to do), the system required that I again pay the $24.95 state submission fee (the 2018 Home&Business app wasn't able to see that I'd already paid, but didn't make use of, the $24.95 fee using 2018 Premier).  

Since I had to double pay the $24.95 (for a single tax submission), I'd like a refund from TT for the unused submission fee. 

I  tried calling TT today.  The webpage that gave me the code and phone number warned me the wait time was 1 hour, so I waited.  However, close to the end of the one-hour wait time, I was disconnected (I called TT from a landline, so I wasn't disconnected because of cell phone issues; the problem was on their end).  I am unwilling to waste my time again.   Is there any other way (e.g., email) that I can contact TT to get this fixed? 

[I'll add it's unfortunate that TT doesn't have a "call-back" feature, such that you can leave your number with an auto prompt; this feature is available from companies with more sophisticated phone systems.]

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

What a headache!  I'm not a TurboTax employee; I'm a user like you.  But I have reported your problem to TurboTax Moderators.  My hope is that one of them will reach out to you, probably by email, in the next couple of days.  They are on the west coast, so keep in mind the possible time differences.   I'm so sorry for your difficulties. 

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

Thanks Kat, I really appreciate that!

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Happy to help if I can!

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

Call your credit card company and dispute the charge

I've done that before when I wasn't able to reach a resolution with the merchant.  But it's time consuming -- not worth it for $25.  In this case, I'd just like a simple, non-time-consuming way to get a refund directly from TT.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@theoristPlease check your email at your convenience.  A TT Moderator has reached out to you via email.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies