Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RAGCPA66
Returning Member

401k over 50 catch up contributions

I am self employed and have contributed $24,500 to my 401k. I am over 50 years old. TT gave me error and said the maximum amount I can contribute is $18,500. I went to the Keogh worksheet and changed line 6a from $24,500 to $18,500 and added $6,000 to line 6c in the worksheet. TT still gives error on the now revised line 6a of $18,500. Any way to fix this and still e-file? Rather not file paper for second year due to TT glitch. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Enter the amounts like shown in the picture below, with $18,500 in the deferral box, then $6,000 in the catch-up box and check the Maximize contribution to Individual 401k box.

The message 'you can defer a maximum of $18,500 to a 401k plan' is not an error on the 'Your Self-Employed Retirement Deduction' screen. Deferral's and catch-up are different things. After you enter the catchup in its appropriate box, go to forms mode and check the worksheet again. $18,500 should be on line 6a and $6,000 should be shown on line 6c. Overrides will void warranties and cause errors.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
RAGCPA66
Returning Member

Thank you. Where is the first screen in easy step? 

Enter "roth 401(k), self-employed" in the search box (top right corner of the screen), click the Find button, and then click Jump to roth 401(k), self-employed.

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

It's easier to get there if you type 'self employed 401k contribution' in the Find box. No hyphen in self employed. Then select the 'jump to' link.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@PaulaM wrote:

It's easier to get there if you type 'self employed 401k contribution' in the Find box. No hyphen in self employed. Then select the 'jump to' link.

That took me to the exactly the same screen in H&B, but it works. Actually, if you simply type "roth" in the Find box, the first entry is "roth 401(k), self-employed".

RAGCPA66
Returning Member

Thanks my problem was I was putting my partnership match on the wrong line. Got it now - and Thank for quick reply. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies