Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hgw10
Returning Member

Who to Pay Qtrly Taxes

I am a sole proprietor and  I live in Georgia, work for a company in North Carolina that pays my invoice for work at their Pennsylvania factory, who do I pay my quarterly taxes to: GA, NC, PA? I know I pay the Fed Tax not sure about State(s)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Who to Pay Qtrly Taxes

A sole proprietor generally pays state income tax to state(s) where they live and/or work.

Georgia

From my understanding of your question, you are a Georgia resident. Therefore, you are liable for Georgia income tax, regardless of where the money was earned. Georgia taxes residents on income earned anywhere.

You would still owe GA income tax, for example, if you temporarily worked in Pennsylvania for several months, but still considered yourself a GA resident.

GA estimated tax form

Pennsylvania

You said your company pays your invoice "for work at their Pennsylvania factory." If you worked in PA, you also owe PA income tax. Georgia will give you credit for tax paid to another state.

If you worked remotely in GA for a PA factory, you only owe GA income tax. PA says:

Generally, PA source income is income derived from activity or property located in PA. Such income includes:

1. Income from ownership or disposition of real or personal property located in PA. For example, rental income from PA property or the sale of real estate located in PA.
  2. Income from work performed in PA, such as personal services or business income.
  3. Income from intangible property employed in a trade, profession, occupation or business carried on in the Commonwealth.
  4. Gambling and lottery winnings from a wager placed in PA.

PA Source Income Rules

PA estimated tax form

North Carolina

A headquarters location does not affect state income tax. For example, Walmart is headquartered in Arkansas but employees only pay tax to their home and work states, not to Arkansas (unless they live or work there). You do not owe NC income tax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies