turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jbinuk

Multi-member LLC: where do I report my personal expenses & deductions after K1 is issued?

Hi All,

I'm a first-year owner of a multi-member LLC. I have my K1 which shows me my share of the partnership income. In the past as a sole proprietor I had used Schedule C to deduct my expenses (home office deduction, mileage, utilities, etc) and was comfortable with the approach. In this new circumstance as the owner of a multi-member LLC, where/how do I report all my personal expenses & deductions based upon my K1 income? Are the rules generally the same regarding type of deductions allowed as for sole proprietors? Any tips or pointers to relevant publications, sites, etc would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Multi-member LLC: where do I report my personal expenses & deductions after K1 is issued?

Read publication 587 and the instructions for Sch E for line 28 that discuss unreimbursed partnership expenses and you can see if the partnership will reimburse you for expenses.....easiest way to do it.

Carl
Level 15

Are the rules generally the same regarding type of deductions allowed as for sole proprietors?

No, they are not the same. Not even close.

Any tips or pointers to relevant publications, sites, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Basically, all expenses need to be paid out of the partnership. That's the simplest/easiest way to do it. That's because with the massive tax law changes that took effect in 2018, there are many expenses that can "ONLY" be paid out of the partnership in order to not be counted as taxable income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies