Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

idaho
Returning Member

Car Totaled in 2019, Used Partly for Business, Need help with Turbo Tax Reporting to the IRS for gain or loss

Filing Schedule C as a sole proprietor. Have been using actual expenses on a car used for business and personal (business use only about 6% a year, but varied each year). Car was totaled in October 2019. 

Data on the car:
Purchase price ($12,617); claimed depreciation 2012-2018 ($857), data from the worksheet for the car in turbo tax, insurance paid $6612.98. 

1) How do I calculate gain/loss and report it in TurboTax?
2) Turbo Tax has been flagging Depreciation, saying it's too large, so am I not computing the cost basis
correctly?

I have read several questions and answers similar to my issue, but I am still confused about  the actual process of number generating.  The system is stuck on the depreciation and highlights it as an error when performing the "check" of the tax return.

Thanks for any help. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Car Totaled in 2019, Used Partly for Business, Need help with Turbo Tax Reporting to the IRS for gain or loss

Since the car was not owned by the business and was not 100% business use, you have no gain or loss in your situation. Simply work through the Business Vehicle Expenses section and indicate that you stopped using the vehicle for business in 2019. Then on the "Special Handling Required?" screen select YES to indicate that it was destroyed. You're done.

Hi,  having trouble finding the "Special Handling Required" section as I had this same situation with a totaled car.  

idaho
Returning Member

Thank you for your assistance, but Turbo Tax is still hiccuping on the car expense worksheet.  

Error message
"AMT deep allowed/allowable is too large. For disposition calculations, depreciation cannot exceed business basis."

$31 expense, $127 depreciation.

And I never get the "Special Handling Required" question. 

THX...

Added: called TurboTax and I had entered 'zeros' in the Basis for Gain fields. After I removed them, Turbo Tax no longer showed an error.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies