To save a backup copy of your tax data file (.tax file) that can be opened and read by TurboTax CD/Download software, you'll need to choose your TurboTax product:
Similar-sounding—but very different—is saving a copy of your tax return as a PDF file, which is like a picture or "snapshot" of your tax return that you can view or print.
PDF files cannot be opened or read by TurboTax software, which means they cannot be used for amending or troubleshooting calculation issues.
- How do I prepare a joint federal return and separate state returns?
- Can I get a copy of my tax return from the IRS?
- How do I get a copy of a tax return prepared with the TurboTax CD/Download software?
- How do I move my tax data file to another computer?
- How do I get a copy of a return I filed this year in TurboTax Online?