To claim the Recovery Rebate Credit, you must file a 2020 tax return, even if you had no taxable income and aren’t required to file a return. You must also know the amount of any first and second Economic Impact Payment you received.
To do this in TurboTax, follow these steps:
- Go to TurboTax.com and select the Free version.
- Enter your personal info.
- Select Federal Review at the top of the screen.
- On the Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount screen, select Continue.
- You’ll be asked about the amounts of first round and second round stimulus payments you should have received. TurboTax will calculate the amount of stimulus payment remaining that you’re entitled to. This will show as a credit on line 30 of the 1040.
If you have no taxable income in your return, you’ll have to print your finished return and mail it in.
For more info on the recovery rebate credit, go here.
- When would I have to file returns in more than one state?
- What are the qualifications for the Earned Income Credit (EIC or EITC)?
- How do I file a part-year state return?
- Why does tax-free income from Alaska, Florida, New Hampshire, Nevada, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, or Wyoming get taxed on my resident state return?
- What is earned income?