turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm 76 years old & want to start my own business, what's the income limit I can make without it affecting my social security?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm 76 years old & want to start my own business, what's the income limit I can make without it affecting my social security?

It only affects how much of your SS is taxable.  Up to 85% of Social Security becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security, reaches:
Married Filing Jointly: $32,000
Single or head of household: $25,000
Married Filing Separately: 0

View solution in original post

4 Replies

It only affects how much of your SS is taxable.  Up to 85% of Social Security becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security, reaches:
Married Filing Jointly: $32,000
Single or head of household: $25,000
Married Filing Separately: 0
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Your social security benefits will be affected at all as you are over the full retirement age. 

You can earn as much as you can.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If I'm over the full retirement age, what is the most I can make without it affecting tiny my social security then?

No max.  You can make as much as you want.  It's only if you are under full age (like under 65) that they will actually reduce your monthly amount if you make too much in the prior year.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies