turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Joey-K
Returning Member

Your site says to say YES on 1099R MRD requirement, BUT no question asked "paid in equal amounts"? The script is asking for a dollar amount? Provider said No MRD?

I called my Provider and they indicated that I get equal payments each month and have for years now.  They said this pension with Johnson and Johnson does not have minimum distribution requirements?  I also have an annuity that I set up when I retired in 1985 and do not recall an issue with prior tax return preparation.  I tried to follow a lead from your site that said......

1099'R and Required minimum distribution
my husband and I are both retired from the Federal Government under the Civil Service Retirement System (not SS).  We receive 1099R's.  I'm not sure which of the 3 blocks we should highlight.  The options are:  (1) We received all RMD for 2016, (2) We did NOT receive all RMD for 2016, or (3) We were not required to take an RMD for 2016.
Recommended Answer

I am assuming you have passed the age of 70 1/2, which is the required age for the required minimum distributions.

All retirement accounts, even pensions and annuities, must meet the RMD requirements.

However, the way the pension plans meet the RMD requirements is by creating an annuity paid periodically (in your case monthly.  Therefore, you may simply select " yes " to the RMD question (Was this withdrawal RMD and all of this was RMD).  You will also be asked if the amount reported is paid periodically in equal amounts.  By selecting " yes" the RMD requirements are met and you may continue with the tax preparation.

TurboTax is requesting an amount be filled in?  This 2017 version of TT did not have "paid periodically in equal amounts", asking for $ in a box?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Your site says to say YES on 1099R MRD requirement, BUT no question asked "paid in equal amounts"? The script is asking for a dollar amount? Provider said No MRD?

Just say that it is all an RMD - being more than the RMD simply allows the excess to be rolled over if it is from an IRA.  Since a pension is not allowed to be rolled over it makes no difference.

Virtually all qualified pension plans in existence today fall under section 401 of the tax code and they all require RMD's after age 70 1/2.  The question is just to be sure that the requirement was met.  If you receive periodic (monthly) payments from any pension plan you can be assured that the custodian of the plan is meeting the requirements so you can safely answer "yes" to the question.

The answer to the question does not go on your tax return, it is simply to make sure you do not owe any penalty for not taking the RMD.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302117

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
KarlaKW

Replies I see do not seem to pertain to my question.   My husband passed away in 2016.  I received a 1099Div for him for 2020.  What do I do with it?  Do I include the amount in my income?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies