Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I don't think I'm understanding this question correctly. Did financial aid include amounts not awarded for 2016 Expenses?

90% of financial aid (grants/loans) covered the cost of book and supplies, room and board, meal plan, etc. Hardly any money left over after expenses. I'm trying to claim the Educational credit for my daughter, but it keeps saying she needs to file taxes to account for her federal student aid. She has never been employed and is my dependent. I am so confused with how to plug in the numbers for college expenses. Please help.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I don't think I'm understanding this question correctly. Did financial aid include amounts not awarded for 2016 Expenses?

Your daughter would get a form 1098-T that she would use to report her scholarships and grants as "income". The portion that she used for room and board is not considered an educational expense so you can't get an education credit for that amount. It is considered income. So, for example, say she paid $500 per month for rent for 6 months in 2016. $3000 of her scholarships and grants would have to be reported as income. To report this amount, Turbo tax will ask you to enter it as amount paid for room and board and not qualified tuition and related expenses on her tax return. I hope this helps! 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Your daughter would get a form 1098-T that she would use to report her scholarships and grants as "income". The portion that she used for room and board is not considered an educational expense so you can't get an education credit for that amount. It is considered income. So, for example, say she paid $500 per month for rent for 6 months in 2016. $3000 of her scholarships and grants would have to be reported as income. To report this amount, Turbo tax will ask you to enter it as amount paid for room and board and not qualified tuition and related expenses on her tax return. I hope this helps! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies