Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I inherited my sister's 457 plan with Fidelity. Fidelity put it in a 403b in my name. I didn't receive a 1099. Do I pay taxes on this, if so, where do I put it on my tax form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I inherited my sister's 457 plan with Fidelity. Fidelity put it in a 403b in my name. I didn't receive a 1099. Do I pay taxes on this, if so, where do I put it on my tax form?

You will pay taxes when money is withdrawn from the account.  Then you will be issued a 1099R.

Depending on the age of your sister when you got this account, some money may need to be withdrawn each year.  So talk to the financial advisor with the account, so that gets taken care of if needed. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

"Fidelity put it in a 403b in my name."

Are you sure?  That's not permitted.  The only possibility for moving the funds to another retirement account is for the distribution from the inherited 457(b) plan to be directly rolled over to an inherited IRA in the name of your deceased sister for you benefit as beneficiary.  A Form 1099-R MUST be issued for any distribution from the 457(b) plan regardless of where the money ended up.

You will pay taxes when money is withdrawn from the account.  Then you will be issued a 1099R.

Depending on the age of your sister when you got this account, some money may need to be withdrawn each year.  So talk to the financial advisor with the account, so that gets taken care of if needed. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies