turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

janew99

I over-contributed $1038 to my 401(k) in 2018. However, my company only refunded me $998. What do I report as my excess 401(k) deferral?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

I over-contributed $1038 to my 401(k) in 2018. However, my company only refunded me $998. What do I report as my excess 401(k) deferral?

You should report $1,038 as your excess 401(K) deferral as wages on your 2018 Tax Return.

You can report the $40 loss from your corrective distribution as a negative amount on Line 21 of Schedule 3 on your Form 1040.  You should identify it as “Loss on Excess Deferral Distribution.” This loss should be taken in the year that you received the corrective distribution. So if you didn't receive the refund until 2019, you will report it on next year's return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

You should report $1,038 as your excess 401(K) deferral as wages on your 2018 Tax Return.

You can report the $40 loss from your corrective distribution as a negative amount on Line 21 of Schedule 3 on your Form 1040.  You should identify it as “Loss on Excess Deferral Distribution.” This loss should be taken in the year that you received the corrective distribution. So if you didn't receive the refund until 2019, you will report it on next year's return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies