Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sa257

I retired on Feb1,2016. I worked for Jan 2016 only. How do I claim income for 2016?

should I change occupation o retired on personal information even though I worked (one month ) January 2016
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM

I retired on Feb1,2016. I worked for Jan 2016 only. How do I claim income for 2016?

You'll report it the same way you did when you were working full time.  If you were an employee, enter your W-2 into TurboTax just as you always have.  In addition, you'll enter any retirement income you received on a Form 1099-R (click Federal Taxes, then Wages & Income, the scroll down to Retirement Plans & Social Security.  That's where you'll enter any Social Security benefits received, as well.  So it's the same process as always.

You can change your occupation in the Personal Info section if you like.  That's entirely up to you.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AnnaB

Please refer to the answer below.
ThomasM

You'll report it the same way you did when you were working full time.  If you were an employee, enter your W-2 into TurboTax just as you always have.  In addition, you'll enter any retirement income you received on a Form 1099-R (click Federal Taxes, then Wages & Income, the scroll down to Retirement Plans & Social Security.  That's where you'll enter any Social Security benefits received, as well.  So it's the same process as always.

You can change your occupation in the Personal Info section if you like.  That's entirely up to you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies