turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

It wont let me put my federal withheld on my 1099 g

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LindaA
Expert Alumni

You'll need to check the box that says Federal or state income tax was withheld on this payment when you are on the "What's the total amount you received on your 1099-G?" screen. Then when you click Continue to advance to the next screen, you'll be able to Enter Any Withholding. (Click the screenshots below for reference.) 

To enter your unemployment compensation (or paid family leave), including taxes withheld:

• Open (continue) your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in, click Take me to my return, then click Pick up where I left off.)
  • Click My Account (top right of your screen).
  • Select Tools.
  • In the pop-up window, select Topic Search.
  • In the search bar, type unemployment.
  • In the results box, highlight unemployment compensation, then click GO.
  • You'll land on Unemployment (and Paid Family Leave). Select Yes and click Continue. (If you land on the Summary screen instead, click Edit next to the unemployment entry you wish to work on.)
  • Next, Enter your 1099-G info. When finished, click Continue.
  • What's the total amount you received on your 1099-G? Fill out the info on this screen, making sure to check Federal or state income tax was withheld on this payment. When finished, click Continue.
  • Now you'll be able to Enter any withholding. When finished, click Continue.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to completion.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LindaA
Expert Alumni

You'll need to check the box that says Federal or state income tax was withheld on this payment when you are on the "What's the total amount you received on your 1099-G?" screen. Then when you click Continue to advance to the next screen, you'll be able to Enter Any Withholding. (Click the screenshots below for reference.) 

To enter your unemployment compensation (or paid family leave), including taxes withheld:

• Open (continue) your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in, click Take me to my return, then click Pick up where I left off.)
  • Click My Account (top right of your screen).
  • Select Tools.
  • In the pop-up window, select Topic Search.
  • In the search bar, type unemployment.
  • In the results box, highlight unemployment compensation, then click GO.
  • You'll land on Unemployment (and Paid Family Leave). Select Yes and click Continue. (If you land on the Summary screen instead, click Edit next to the unemployment entry you wish to work on.)
  • Next, Enter your 1099-G info. When finished, click Continue.
  • What's the total amount you received on your 1099-G? Fill out the info on this screen, making sure to check Federal or state income tax was withheld on this payment. When finished, click Continue.
  • Now you'll be able to Enter any withholding. When finished, click Continue.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to completion.
cuelliam

Mobile version doesn't have a checkbox. It asks only the total amount, there is no place to enter the tax that was withheld.

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

Please feel free to contact Customer Support so you can speak with someone who can assist you. 

@cuelliam

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies