turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When entering pension income from a private Canadian company what do I enter for Federal ID number?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

When entering pension income from a private Canadian company what do I enter for Federal ID number?

You don't need an EIN if you enter it this way.

The benefit from Canada Pension Plan is reported under TurboTax Social Security Section.

1.  After sign in, select Take me to my return /

2.  In the Search box , at right upper corner, type in SSA-1099 , then Enter /

3.  Select the 1st choice on the list - Jump to SSA-1099 /

4.  Program will take you directly to screen, Social Security Benefit-Did you receive any Social Security benefits ? / select Yes-Continue / screen Tell Us About the Benefits You Received 

This is from the IRS website:

The taxation of payments received from Canadian retirement programs that are similar to the U.S. Social Security system receive special tax treatment due to an income tax treaty between the United States and Canadian governments. The way this income is taxed depends on the recipient’s residence.

The special tax treatment applies to payments receive from the following Canadian retirement programs: Canada Pension Plan (CPP), Quebec Pension Plan (QPP), and Old Age Security (OAS)

If the recipient is a resident of the United States, the benefits:

• are taxable only in the United States,
  • are treated as U.S. social security benefits for U.S. tax purposes, and
  • are reported on Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return (or Form 1040A) on the line on which U.S. social security benefits would be reported.

If the recipient is a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (green card holder) who is a resident of Canada, the benefits are taxable only in Canada.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

You don't need an EIN if you enter it this way.

The benefit from Canada Pension Plan is reported under TurboTax Social Security Section.

1.  After sign in, select Take me to my return /

2.  In the Search box , at right upper corner, type in SSA-1099 , then Enter /

3.  Select the 1st choice on the list - Jump to SSA-1099 /

4.  Program will take you directly to screen, Social Security Benefit-Did you receive any Social Security benefits ? / select Yes-Continue / screen Tell Us About the Benefits You Received 

This is from the IRS website:

The taxation of payments received from Canadian retirement programs that are similar to the U.S. Social Security system receive special tax treatment due to an income tax treaty between the United States and Canadian governments. The way this income is taxed depends on the recipient’s residence.

The special tax treatment applies to payments receive from the following Canadian retirement programs: Canada Pension Plan (CPP), Quebec Pension Plan (QPP), and Old Age Security (OAS)

If the recipient is a resident of the United States, the benefits:

• are taxable only in the United States,
  • are treated as U.S. social security benefits for U.S. tax purposes, and
  • are reported on Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return (or Form 1040A) on the line on which U.S. social security benefits would be reported.

If the recipient is a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (green card holder) who is a resident of Canada, the benefits are taxable only in Canada.

What do I enter on the 1099R for the Federal ID Number for pension income from a private Canadian company (not from the Canadian government)?
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

This is the only other option. You will not be able to e-file.
The best way is to enter the German pension as a substitute form 1099-R:
1.        Click on Federal Taxes.
2.       Select Wages and Income.
3.       Select “I’ll choose what I work on”.
4.        Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security”.
5.       Select “IRA, 401(k), Pension Plans (1099-R).
6.       On the screen “Tell Us Which 1099-R You Have”, there is a box “I need to prepare a substitute 1099-R”. Click on that box and continue.

For electronic purposes, the two letter state ID and zip code may be left blank, it should be fine for electronic filing. As to the Federal ID, UK pensions often do not have it, try entering nine 9s.
If electronic errors occur due to 1099-R data entry, please enter the pension in Miscellaneous income. As long as IRS has the pension reported and included in total income, it is not problematic. If your pension receives no special tax treatment, you are fine to report it in the miscellaneous income.
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

I hope this was more helpful.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies