turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have Social Society Tax withheld and Medicare Tax withheld for Schedule C. How do I deduct this on Schedule SE?

Your answers do not help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I have Social Society Tax withheld and Medicare Tax withheld for Schedule C. How do I deduct this on Schedule SE?

Withheld where?  Or do you mean you made estimated tax payments?
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Client submitted a W-2 instead of a 1099 for my consulting work, and withheld Fed Tax, Soc Tax, and Medicare Tax.

Then it gets entered as a w2, not on Sch C.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

With the associated expenses, the Schedule C shows a huge loss without the related revenue?

Then you need the client to cancel the W-2 and issue a 1099.  This is a big mess for them.  Did you have a true contractor relationship or was your relationship more like employee-employer?   The correct tax treatment depends on your relationship, which is not necessarily controlled by your wishes.  

You CAN’T put the expenses on schedule C if the job paid you on a W-2.  You need to get the employer to cancel the W-2 and issue a 1099 or you need a vigorous accountant.

You cannot take a deduction for self-employment taxes when you only paid the employee share of them.  If the client issued you a W2 and treated you as an employee you cannot take a deduction for what they paid and the half the employee pays is not deductible.

So, if you were not an employee you would have to get this all straightened out with the client who issued you the W2.  But, you can not deduct any of the FICA taxes with the way things currently are.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies