turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rocky510

I am retired on medicare. I added tufts medical to medicare and a dental plan. How do I deduct these plans for tax purposes?

How do I add the cost for the additional Dental and supplemental insurance to my taxes? Do I just add the cost on top of medicare?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieH1

I am retired on medicare. I added tufts medical to medicare and a dental plan. How do I deduct these plans for tax purposes?

You can deduct any health insurance premiums you paid (including dental and vision insurance) as long as you itemize your deductions.

Please keep in mind the following about deducting your medical expenses, including health insurance:

• You don't get the benefit if you are taking the standard deduction.
  • If you itemize deductions, you will only be able to take total medical expenses that are greater than:
    • 7.5% of your adjusted gross income 

To enter your insurance premiums in TurboTax, please follow these steps:

1. Click on Federal Taxes > Deductions & Credits  [In TT Self-Employed:  Personal > Deductions & Credits > I'll choose what I work on].
  2. In the Medical section, click on the Start/Revisit box next to Medical Expenses.  [See Screenshot #1 below.]
  3. If you haven't yet entered any medical expenses, TurboTax will ask you if your total medical expenses exceed a certain number.  
  4. If you think your total medical expenses will exceed that number, click the blue Yes box and continue through the interview, entering the requested information on your medical expenses.
  5. You will come to a screen, Enter Insurance Premiums, where you can make the entry for both health insurance and long-term care insurance premiums. [Screenshot #3]

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JulieH1

You can deduct any health insurance premiums you paid (including dental and vision insurance) as long as you itemize your deductions.

Please keep in mind the following about deducting your medical expenses, including health insurance:

• You don't get the benefit if you are taking the standard deduction.
  • If you itemize deductions, you will only be able to take total medical expenses that are greater than:
    • 7.5% of your adjusted gross income 

To enter your insurance premiums in TurboTax, please follow these steps:

1. Click on Federal Taxes > Deductions & Credits  [In TT Self-Employed:  Personal > Deductions & Credits > I'll choose what I work on].
  2. In the Medical section, click on the Start/Revisit box next to Medical Expenses.  [See Screenshot #1 below.]
  3. If you haven't yet entered any medical expenses, TurboTax will ask you if your total medical expenses exceed a certain number.  
  4. If you think your total medical expenses will exceed that number, click the blue Yes box and continue through the interview, entering the requested information on your medical expenses.
  5. You will come to a screen, Enter Insurance Premiums, where you can make the entry for both health insurance and long-term care insurance premiums. [Screenshot #3]
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies