turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

emo1

Household Income. Social Security Payments Not Included in Federal AGI. Where does the TurboTax figure entered source from?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PhyllisG

Household Income. Social Security Payments Not Included in Federal AGI. Where does the TurboTax figure entered source from?

TurboTax on-line does not provide the Social Security worksheet in order for you to determine if your social security earnings are taxable.  I have attached Notice 703, which is a worksheet that helps you make that determination.

Generally, if social security is your only income, then it is not taxable.  However, if your combined income is above a certain limit ($25,000 for Single, Head of Household, and Qualifying Widow or Widower with a dependent child; $25,000 for Married Filing Separately; $32,000 for joint filers who lived together for any part of the year.) then at least some of the social security is included as taxable income.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Household Income for what purpose? A state return?
emo1

Yes, household income for NY State return.
emo1

Thank you. My SocSec is taxable. My confusion is in the wording. SS payments not included in Fed Adjusted Gross Income. I don't know what payments or amt that "not included" is referring to.
PhyllisG

TurboTax on-line does not provide the Social Security worksheet in order for you to determine if your social security earnings are taxable.  I have attached Notice 703, which is a worksheet that helps you make that determination.

Generally, if social security is your only income, then it is not taxable.  However, if your combined income is above a certain limit ($25,000 for Single, Head of Household, and Qualifying Widow or Widower with a dependent child; $25,000 for Married Filing Separately; $32,000 for joint filers who lived together for any part of the year.) then at least some of the social security is included as taxable income.

emo1

Thank you. I'm now clear.
PhyllisG

You are welcome.  Thank you for using TurboTax
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies