turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rhj45

I received retirement income from the state of MA and I live in NV. Do I need to file a MA tax report

I don't know what else there is I live in NV and received a 1099-R from MA retirement fund

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

I received retirement income from the state of MA and I live in NV. Do I need to file a MA tax report

You are not required to file a MA tax return for your MA-originated retirement income. 

Effective for retirement income received after December 31, 1995, federal law prohibits any state from taxing certain retirement income (mainly pension income) unless you are resident of, or domiciled in, that state.

For example, if you receive a pension from your former MA employer and you now reside in NV, MA may not tax your retirement income. Because you are now a NV resident, your retirement income is taxable in NV (if NV had an income tax).

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ToddL

You are not required to file a MA tax return for your MA-originated retirement income. 

Effective for retirement income received after December 31, 1995, federal law prohibits any state from taxing certain retirement income (mainly pension income) unless you are resident of, or domiciled in, that state.

For example, if you receive a pension from your former MA employer and you now reside in NV, MA may not tax your retirement income. Because you are now a NV resident, your retirement income is taxable in NV (if NV had an income tax).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies