turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New york taxes were not witheld from my federal government pension why do I owe them this year . I never had to pay it in previous years. Has the law changed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Employee Tax Expert

New york taxes were not witheld from my federal government pension why do I owe them this year . I never had to pay it in previous years. Has the law changed?

You are correct that New York does not tax employee pensions from the federal government. See page 11 of New York Publication 36 and the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance link.

Did you report your federal annuity payment as a regular 1099-R, or did you report it as a CSA 1099-R, Civil Service Annuity? See the screenshot below. If you report it as a Civil Service Annuity, it should not be taxed by New York State.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
IsabellaG
Employee Tax Expert

You are correct that New York does not tax employee pensions from the federal government. See page 11 of New York Publication 36 and the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance link.

Did you report your federal annuity payment as a regular 1099-R, or did you report it as a CSA 1099-R, Civil Service Annuity? See the screenshot below. If you report it as a Civil Service Annuity, it should not be taxed by New York State.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies