Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My father passed away in November. He didn't pay any tax on his income but the medical expenses he paid brings his tax burden to zero. Do I need to file taxes for him?

I started doing Turbo Tax for my deceased father and when I put in his medical expenses for the medical care facility he was in and paid for it showed he didn't owe any taxes (it was the same when I did it last year).  I filed a return last year because he was due a refund.  This year he paid no taxes so he doesn't owe and is not getting a refund.  Do I need to file to file a Federal or State return for him?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
WillK
Intuit Alumni

My father passed away in November. He didn't pay any tax on his income but the medical expenses he paid brings his tax burden to zero. Do I need to file taxes for him?

Yes you will need to file a return to let the IRS know he has passed away. They will be looking for a return due to the tax forms they have in his tax file. Turbo Tax will be able to walk you through what you need to fill out since he has passed away.

So sorry for your loss. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
WillK
Intuit Alumni

Yes you will need to file a return to let the IRS know he has passed away. They will be looking for a return due to the tax forms they have in his tax file. Turbo Tax will be able to walk you through what you need to fill out since he has passed away.

So sorry for your loss. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies