turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Part of my Social Security Disability was taxed, will this be a subtraction from Federal Income on my Virginia Return?

My income this year was my Social Security Disability, a 1099-MISC and my husbands work (W-2); I also had some interest from a checking account. Part of my Disability was taxable due to the 1099-MISC this year. I want to know if the taxable portion would be subtracted from my Virginia Return under Other Subtraction From Federal Income?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Part of my Social Security Disability was taxed, will this be a subtraction from Federal Income on my Virginia Return?

Yes, this is not taxable in Virginia.  It will be exempted from income.  Here's an excerpt from the Virginia state website that speaks about this:  https://tax.virginia.gov/subtractions#social-security-act

Social Security Act and Equivalent Tier 1 Railroad Retirement Act Benefits

Virginia law exempts Social Security and Tier 1 Railroad Retirement benefits from taxation. If you were required to include any of your benefits in federal adjusted gross income, subtract that amount on your Virginia return. Do not include Tier 2 Railroad Retirement Benefits and Other Railroad Retirement and Railroad Unemployment Benefits. For subtracting other benefits, see Tier 2 and other Railroad Retirement and Railroad Unemployment Benefits. Code of Virginia Section 58.1-322[C][4]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Yes, this is not taxable in Virginia.  It will be exempted from income.  Here's an excerpt from the Virginia state website that speaks about this:  https://tax.virginia.gov/subtractions#social-security-act

Social Security Act and Equivalent Tier 1 Railroad Retirement Act Benefits

Virginia law exempts Social Security and Tier 1 Railroad Retirement benefits from taxation. If you were required to include any of your benefits in federal adjusted gross income, subtract that amount on your Virginia return. Do not include Tier 2 Railroad Retirement Benefits and Other Railroad Retirement and Railroad Unemployment Benefits. For subtracting other benefits, see Tier 2 and other Railroad Retirement and Railroad Unemployment Benefits. Code of Virginia Section 58.1-322[C][4]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies