turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gr11

I'm a UK citizen live&work here as a Resident Alien. I received pension(private) lump-sum in 2016 for my previous job in Germany after I moved here. How do I report this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I'm a UK citizen live&work here as a Resident Alien. I received pension(private) lump-sum in 2016 for my previous job in Germany after I moved here. How do I report this?

This is considered Miscellaneous Income  (Foreign Pension).  Here's how to enter:

1. In the Wages & Income section, go to the Less Common Income section and select Start next to Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  2. On the next screen, select Start next to Other Reportable Income and answer Yes on the next screen
  3. You will now make two entries on the Other Taxable Income screen:  First, you will enter the topic Foreign Pension, and then you will enter the amount in American dollar equivalent.

If you paid foreign taxes on this, you can receive a credit for this on Form 1116.  Here's an FAQ on this:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302405

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies

if you were a tax resident of Germany before coming to the US, the German-US tax treaty applies and might have something to say about this kind of income
gr11

In response to bine22, the "US-German Tax Treaty" is exactly why I need to declare this income to IRS here in the US, because I am a Resident Alien and the payment was made after I moved here and been working here, AND in the FY2016 I only lived and worked in the US and had no income or employment in Germany. I'm following one of the Q&A found here "Under the US - Germany tax treaty, you will need to include this foreign pension income on your US income tax return." <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/businesses/the-taxation-of-foreign-pension-and-annuity-distributions">https://ww...>

I'm a UK citizen live&amp;work here as a Resident Alien. I received pension(private) lump-sum in 2016 for my previous job in Germany after I moved here. How do I report this?

But the treaty also says that german social security payments are treated just like US social security payments (reported on a SSA 1099 and not as misc. income). The question is, if that is valid for lump sum  payments as well.
gr11

I'm a UK citizen live&amp;work here as a Resident Alien. I received pension(private) lump-sum in 2016 for my previous job in Germany after I moved here. How do I report this?

Yes I know, but mine was not Governmental pension. Thanks anyway.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

This is considered Miscellaneous Income  (Foreign Pension).  Here's how to enter:

1. In the Wages & Income section, go to the Less Common Income section and select Start next to Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  2. On the next screen, select Start next to Other Reportable Income and answer Yes on the next screen
  3. You will now make two entries on the Other Taxable Income screen:  First, you will enter the topic Foreign Pension, and then you will enter the amount in American dollar equivalent.

If you paid foreign taxes on this, you can receive a credit for this on Form 1116.  Here's an FAQ on this:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302405

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
gr11

Thanks very much for your advice TurboTaxDanielV. Since I have already filed and received my tax return for 2016, I went to "Amend my 2016 return" and followed the steps to enter the details. The "Tax Due" amount for Fed and State appears to be very high, at around 30% of the pension money received. Is this the final amount I will need to pay, or will it be adjusted?
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies