turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dgelbart

I missed my RMD for an inherited IRA for 2018. Can I file a 5329 through Turbotax?

I have already filed my federal return for 2018.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
WillK
Intuit Alumni

I missed my RMD for an inherited IRA for 2018. Can I file a 5329 through Turbotax?

Yes, but you will need to file an amended 2018 return to include form 5329. 

. If you already filed your return you will need to wait to see if it was rejected or accepted. If they were rejected you are able to login to your return to fix what you need to fix and fix the errors that caused the rejection and refile the return. If your returns were accepted, then you will need to file an amended return. You should not try to amend your return until the original return it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.
Amended returns do not “catch up” to your original return and replace them; they are processed as two separate returns.  
Amended returns have to be printed and filed by mail.  It can take the IRS up to 12 weeks or longer to process them.   If you are due a larger refund than on your original return, your amended return should only show the difference and you will receive a separate check for it.  If you owe money on your amended return, it will show only the new amount owed, you will have to mail a check with the return. You can check the status of your amended return by clicking here: https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x-/wheres-my-amended-return-1

Click here for amending instructions: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
WillK
Intuit Alumni

Yes, but you will need to file an amended 2018 return to include form 5329. 

. If you already filed your return you will need to wait to see if it was rejected or accepted. If they were rejected you are able to login to your return to fix what you need to fix and fix the errors that caused the rejection and refile the return. If your returns were accepted, then you will need to file an amended return. You should not try to amend your return until the original return it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.
Amended returns do not “catch up” to your original return and replace them; they are processed as two separate returns.  
Amended returns have to be printed and filed by mail.  It can take the IRS up to 12 weeks or longer to process them.   If you are due a larger refund than on your original return, your amended return should only show the difference and you will receive a separate check for it.  If you owe money on your amended return, it will show only the new amount owed, you will have to mail a check with the return. You can check the status of your amended return by clicking here: https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x-/wheres-my-amended-return-1

Click here for amending instructions: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dgelbart

Thank you for your answer! The only thing I can't figure out is how to access Form 5329 in the amended return section. It is not one of the listed forms.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies