turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wrong age

working on IRA distributions.   Turbo Tax says I need to take a RMD since I am over 70.5, but I am not and the correct birthday is listed on the personal part of the forms.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

wrong age

Are you married and your spouse over 70.5?  If so, make sure you are entering the 1099-R for you and not them.  Make sure the your birthday(s) are entered in the format MM/DD/YEAR in TurboTax.   

The Secure Act made major changes to the RMD rules. If you reached the age of 70½ in 2019 the prior rule applies, and you must take your first RMD by April 1, 2020. If you reach age 70 ½ in 2020 or later you must take your first RMD by April 1 of the year after you reach 72.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

wrong age

Yes, I am married.

Yes, my spouse is over 70.5.

BUT, it is my IRA and the description paragraph lists my name saying “ since YOU ( my name) are over 70.5, you have a RMD.

Both our birthdates are right in the personal information center.

To bypass that question, I entered a RMD of $1, and feel I can afford the adjustments in taxes I’ll get over that.

i haven’t filed yet hoping someone from TurboTax notices this and maybe fixes it.

wrong age

on that 1099-R, go back into TT and see who is listed as the taxpayer - you or your spouse.

I suspect you clicked the 1099-R belongs to your spouse when in fact it belongs to you. 

wrong age

Thank you.

i did re-enter TT.

Both birthdays are correct.

The ownership of this IRA is correct.

The statement at screen Was this withdrawal an RMD for 2019 still adds 7 years to my age and says I was required to take an RMD.   

If someone at TT wants to see screenshots, I’d be happy to share.

wrong age

entering an RMD amount of $1 won't change anything ( beyond TurboTax behavior).

The taxable amount is the amount of the distribution 1040 Line 4b. (sum of both spouses amount).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies