turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AB4

IRS Withholding calculator suggests 24 allowances for me &10 for wife. We take 6&5 from paycheck. Turbotax says pay $1,900 to the feds. Is there a Turbotax error?

My wife and are married filing jointly.  Using the IRS calculator we should be receiving a federal refund this year.  We even had child born in 2018.  State taxes calculate a large refund, however, Turbotax estimates we need to pay $1,900 to the federal government.  

Is it an error with Turbotax, or the new tax law just sucks?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
dweelea

IRS Withholding calculator suggests 24 allowances for me &10 for wife. We take 6&5 from paycheck. Turbotax says pay $1,900 to the feds. Is there a Turbotax error?

Would need more information on your total income, and your total withholdings, to estimate whether you should expect to get any money back.  

Check on the return and make sure you have received Child Tax Credit.  Most tax software will ask you how many months your child lived with you.  You should enter 12, even if she was born later in the year.  A child born at any time during the tax year is considered having lived with you all year.  You may have not received some credits you are eligible for if you indicated he/she lived with you for less than 12 months.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies