turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will my 2 children's social security benefits they received in 2019 cause my tax return to put me in a higher tax bracket? I received SSA 1099 forms for both children?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

Will my 2 children's social security benefits they received in 2019 cause my tax return to put me in a higher tax bracket? I received SSA 1099 forms for both children?

No, your children's social security income is not reported on your tax return. It doesn't get reported at all unless your children are required to file a tax return. In that case, the children will report their social security income 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

No, your children's social security income is not reported on your tax return. It doesn't get reported at all unless your children are required to file a tax return. In that case, the children will report their social security income 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
crciii

My 2 children received social security benefits, in the answer it says "unless your children are required to file a tax return".  How do I know if my children have to file a tax return?

@crciii wrote:

My 2 children received social security benefits, in the answer it says "unless your children are required to file a tax return".  How do I know if my children have to file a tax return?

If the Social Security benefits the children receive is their Only income they do not have to file a tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies