turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will I get a bill from the irs for my 10% early ira w/d penalty? I filed my taxes I paid the fed taxes I owed but I still haven't received a bill for 10% penalty?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Will I get a bill from the irs for my 10% early ira w/d penalty? I filed my taxes I paid the fed taxes I owed but I still haven't received a bill for 10% penalty?

No you will not get a separate bill for the early withdrawal penalty.  When you entered all of the information from your 1099R the software would have calculated your penalty as well as the ordinary income tax,  If you paid your 2019 tax due then you already paid the penalty.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you had received a Form 1099-R for a distribution in 2019 and entered the 1099-R on your tax return, the early distribution penalty would have been calculated on the federal tax return that you filed in 2020.

The penalty would have decreased your federal tax refund or increased the taxes owed on the federal tax return, Form 1040.  The penalty would have been entered on Schedule 2 Line 6.  The total amount from Schedule 2 Lines 4 thru 8 would have flowed to Form 1040 Line 15

Look at your 2019 federal tax return -

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

Or -

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2019 online tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Then click on Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  Choose the option Include government and TurboTax worksheets

You were supposed to report the distribution using the 1099-R that was sent by the plan trustee.  If you did, then the tax was already calculated and paid.  If you did not, the IRS will certainly eventually send you a bill for unpaid taxes, late fees and interest.  You should file an amended return now that adds the 1099-R to report the income from the distribution and pay any taxes owed. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies