Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why would Social Security benefit line 20b increase when I only amended my FED. to increase line 15b (IRA distribution)?

Line 15b was increase by 2,139, which is an additional IRS Distribution that was omitted the first time filing.

I prepared an  amended the Fed line 15b for the gross of the distribution.  

Line 20a ( Social Security benefit did not change, BUT 20b increased by 1,818..

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Why would Social Security benefit line 20b increase when I only amended my FED. to increase line 15b (IRA distribution)?

The amount of your Social Security income that is taxable depends on the amount of your other income.  $1,818 equals 85% of $2,139 and is exactly the amount that the taxable amount of your Social Security income would be expected to increase.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

15a is the gross, 15b is the taxable distribution, if 15b has additional income, that  makes the taxable amount of social security increase as well.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dmertz
Level 15

The amount of your Social Security income that is taxable depends on the amount of your other income.  $1,818 equals 85% of $2,139 and is exactly the amount that the taxable amount of your Social Security income would be expected to increase.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies