dougsantq

Why was my retirement pension shown as income on PA Schedule A 2016? Are retirees not taxed on pension?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

On the Pennsylvania return, you need to manually indicate which retirement distributions are not taxable (because some are taxable).

In the Pennsylvania state interview, you will come to a screen entitled "What kind of retirement income do you have from Pennsylvania?" Actually, you'll get one of these for each 1099-R you enter on the federal.

The second line identifies which 1099-R this screen is referring to. The screen says "Pennsylvania needs us to get really specific about the kind of retirement income you're receiving from [name]." (where [name] is the name you gave your 1099-R on the federal return).).

This screen wants to know what type of pension this is since some pensions are taxable in Pennsylvania.

At the box entitled "State Type Code", pull down the menu.

Choose "I'm eligible; plan's eligible (no PA tax)" if the following applies:

dougsantq

How do I correct line 11 on PA Schedule A 2016 which has already been sent/forwarded by TurboTax.  Where do I go now??
dougsantq

When will I possibly receive an answere?

I assume that you are referring to line 11 on the PA-40. Schedule A is for interest income.

Are you saying that you have already filed this return? If so, you will need to amend your Pennsylvania return, to remove that income (assuming that your pension income qualifies to be removed).

Please see for more information on amending a return - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565</a>

Ah, I see that certain pension income is reported as interest in PA.

"If this is a distribution from a non-qualified deferred compensation plan, life insurance or endowment or distribution from a charitable gift annuity PA treats these distributions as interest income. We will then transfer the information to Schedule A for you. "

If you need to amend your return, you will need to go back to the screen that is entitled "What kind of retirement income do you have from Pennsylvania?" and indicate the correct type. Note that some retirement income is taxable in Pennsylvania, so it is important to identify the type correctly.