joy27shops

Why on my 1099R is only 20K being allowed as a rollover, line B4, when line B2 shows the correct rollover of 30K?

I made a 50K withdrawal from my IRA on 3/1/2018.  On 4/19/2018 I returned 30K to the same IRA.  I was assuming that all of the 30K would be shown on the IRS 1099R as eligibe to rollover.  In effect I am paying tax on 10K that is not in my possesion.

macuser_22

Enter a 1099-R here:

Federal Taxes,
Wages & Income
I’ll choose what I work on (if that screen comes up),
Retirement Plans & Social Security,
IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).

OR  Use the "Tools" menu (if online version under My Account) and then "Search Topics" for "1099-R" which will take you to the same place.

Be sure to choose which spouse the 1099-R is for if this is a joint tax return.
Be sure to pick the correct 1099-R type: Standard 1099-R, CSA-1099-R, CSF-1099-R, RRB-1099-R.

If this was a rollover or conversion, answer the question that you moved the money to another retirement account (can be the same account). The screen will open up with choices of where it was moved.

Say you did a combination of things.  Enter the amount rolled over in the top box and leave the bottom box blank.

[NOTE: When you get to the "Your 1099-R Entries" screen where you can add another 1099-R, use "continue" to keep going as there are additional interview questions after that screen in most cases. You can always return as shown above.]

It will show as income on the summary screen which shows gross income, not taxable income.

The income will be reported on line 4a on the 1040 form with the word “ROLLOVER” next to it if it was a rollover.

The taxable amount will go on line 4b. 

macuser_22

Enter a 1099-R here:

Federal Taxes,
Wages & Income
Retirement Plans & Social Security,

The taxable amount will go on line 4b.