turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ray3051

Why is my withdrawal from my Roth being partially taxed? It has been in the Roth for several years,

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Why is my withdrawal from my Roth being partially taxed? It has been in the Roth for several years,

Has your Roth been established for 5 years?  Your Roth IRA withdrawals may be taxable if:

• You’ve not met the 5-year rule for opening the Roth and you are under age 59 1/2 You will pay income taxes and a 10% penalty tax on earnings that you withdraw. The 10% penalty may be waived if you meet one of the exceptions to the early withdrawal penalty tax.
  • You’ve not met the 5-year rule but you are over age 59 1/2: Earnings withdrawn will be included as income and subject to income taxes but will not be subject to a 10% penalty tax.
  • You’ve met the 5-year rule but are not yet 59 1/2: Earnings withdrawn will be considered as income and subject to income taxes and a 10% penalty tax. The 10% penalty may be waived if you meet one of the exceptions listed on page 64 of IRS Publication 590-B - Distributions from Individual Retirement Arrangements

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Has your Roth been established for 5 years?  Your Roth IRA withdrawals may be taxable if:

• You’ve not met the 5-year rule for opening the Roth and you are under age 59 1/2 You will pay income taxes and a 10% penalty tax on earnings that you withdraw. The 10% penalty may be waived if you meet one of the exceptions to the early withdrawal penalty tax.
  • You’ve not met the 5-year rule but you are over age 59 1/2: Earnings withdrawn will be included as income and subject to income taxes but will not be subject to a 10% penalty tax.
  • You’ve met the 5-year rule but are not yet 59 1/2: Earnings withdrawn will be considered as income and subject to income taxes and a 10% penalty tax. The 10% penalty may be waived if you meet one of the exceptions listed on page 64 of IRS Publication 590-B - Distributions from Individual Retirement Arrangements

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

The last bullet should generally just say "You are not yet 59½."  Meeting the 5-year rule for qualified distributions is irrelevant for anyone under age 59½ unless that person is disabled, deceased, or is using the money for a first-home purchase.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies