turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is my non-deductible IRA contribution (Form 8606) effected by my IRA value?

I made my first distribution from my traditional IRA in 2019 (to do a Roth Conversion).  As expected, entering the 1099-R ($50,000) caused my Federal Tax Due to increase.  TT next asked if I had made any Non-Deductible contributions in previous years - Yes, I did - $20,000 over a ten year period (1987-1996).  As expected, entering the $20,000 caused my Federal Tax Due to decrease.  Paying taxes on $30,000 instead of $50,000.  All is good.  TT next asked for the value of my IRAs as of 12/31/19.   Enter that number (>$500,000) caused the Federal Tax Due to increase again????? Why? Instead of paying taxes on $30,000 I am now paying taxes on $48,000.  My $20,000 was reduced to $2,000.  Why?  I have already paid taxes on the $20,000 but now I only get credit for $2,000.  I am forced to pay taxes twice on the difference ($18,000)? That doesn't seem right.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You can't apply the whole 20,000 non deductible amount to this one distribution.  It has to be allocated over the whole balance of the account.  You have to keep track of it on form 8606.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

You can't apply the whole 20,000 non deductible amount to this one distribution.  It has to be allocated over the whole balance of the account.  You have to keep track of it on form 8606.

I had no idea but it makes perfect sense.  I found the new 8606 added to my tax return and it shows the calculations used to allocate $2,000 of the $20,000 leaving $18,000 to be used with future distributions.  Thanks.

Well look at it this way.  50,000 is 10% of the total 500,000.  So you get to take 10% of the 20,000.  @dmertz is that right?

dmertz
Level 15

VolvoGirl, you are close, but not quite right.  The divisor is the year-end balance plus the amount of the distribution.  Using the numbers provided, the amount that is nontaxable is $50,000 * $20,000 / ($50,000 + year-end balance of about $500,000).

I think that vdirjohn now understands that because the basis in nondeductible contributions is distributed proportionately, the last of the basis will not be distributed until the last of the traditional IRA funds is distributed.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies