nb2019

Why is my box 10 dependent care benefit being added to my total income? This is money I contribute out of my paycheck.

ChristinaS

Box 10 is added to your income until you complete the Dependent Care Credit (Form 2441) questions.

Federal Taxes- Deductions and Credits- You and Your Family- Child and Dependent Care Credit

The deferral in Box 10 is never pretax without the satisfactory completion of Form 2441 on a tax return. Only your tax return can fully validate your ability to make tax-deferred contributions to a Dependent Care spending account. If you qualify, the Box 10 will be removed from your income once you've entered the childcare expenses.

ChristinaS

Hal_Al

If you don't qualify for the dependent care credit (for example your spouse does not have earned income or was not a full time student), the box 10 amount will end up being taxable.
nb2019

thank you