turbotax icon
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why doesn't TurboTax allow me to edit excess earnings on contributions for HSA? It shows it as a zero but can't enter it when stating I will withdraw excess contribution

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why doesn't TurboTax allow me to edit excess earnings on contributions for HSA? It shows it as a zero but can't enter it when stating I will withdraw excess contribution

You enter earnings for excess contributions when you enter the 1099-SA.

Are you referring to the "Your HSA Summary" screen? If so, you cannot edit any fields on that screen. 

Normally, taxpayers don't find out that they have an excess HSA contribution until after they start their tax return, after January 1st of the next year. If you ask for the withdrawal of your excess contributions after January 1st of the new year, yes, you will have to declare the earnings withdrawn as taxable, but these will be reported to you on a separate 1099-SA in early 2019, because some of excess belongs to tax year 2018. So you don't worry about the earnings in tax year 2017, but for tax year 2018.

Otherwise, your 1099-SA for tax year 2017 will have the amount of taxable earnings in box 2. You enter this when you enter the 1099-SA. But note that the first case is much more likely.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You enter earnings for excess contributions when you enter the 1099-SA.

Are you referring to the "Your HSA Summary" screen? If so, you cannot edit any fields on that screen. 

Normally, taxpayers don't find out that they have an excess HSA contribution until after they start their tax return, after January 1st of the next year. If you ask for the withdrawal of your excess contributions after January 1st of the new year, yes, you will have to declare the earnings withdrawn as taxable, but these will be reported to you on a separate 1099-SA in early 2019, because some of excess belongs to tax year 2018. So you don't worry about the earnings in tax year 2017, but for tax year 2018.

Otherwise, your 1099-SA for tax year 2017 will have the amount of taxable earnings in box 2. You enter this when you enter the 1099-SA. But note that the first case is much more likely.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question

Related Content

Manage cookies