turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nsull307

Why does TurboTax wrongly say I (70 years old) have a penalty after converting $70k to a Roth IRA?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Why does TurboTax wrongly say I (70 years old) have a penalty after converting $70k to a Roth IRA?

Make sure that you only entered this conversion by entering the Form 1099-R and indicating the conversion.  Make sure that you have not also reported the $70k as a regular Roth IRA contribution under Deductions & Credits.

nsull307

Although I entered the information correctly as a "Conversion" in two locations, the TT program automatically defaulted it as a "contribution" (not as a conversion) in the Credit / Deduction section.  After I removed it from the Credit/Deduction section, the penalty was removed.

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

Yes, but when converting an IRA to a Roth you will be liable to two sets of taxes. 1) the earnings of the IRA becomes taxable at conversion and also the deductible part part of the contributions becomes taxable too.

To avoid this you may have to rollover only the non-deductible contribution portion of you IRA for which you may have to calculate that portion against all your IRA accounts. The damage is probably already done but you could salvage this as some off these mistakes can be corrected before the April 15 tax deadline. You may want to seek professional help particularly if you were not expecting any hefty tax bill.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

VictorW9, the question was not about income taxes, the question was about an inappropriate penalty, an excess-contribution penalty now resolved by removing the erroneously entered regular contribution.

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

Yes I stand corrected. I did misinterpret the question. I thought the question was actually dealing with a tax situation rather than a penalty.

[Edited 2/13/2020 | 11:43pm]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies