Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sergtjim

Boxes 1 and 2a on my 1099-R include amounts paid to my ex-wife as part of a QDRO. How do I exclude this money from my income?

OP-F says she will get her own 1099-R and that money is taxable to her.

Do I simply deduct this amount from box 2a-"taxable amount" and enter that into the 1099-R info screen?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Boxes 1 and 2a on my 1099-R include amounts paid to my ex-wife as part of a QDRO. How do I exclude this money from my income?

Enter your 1099-R as shown.  The IRS has a copy of it.   Then choose 'I moved the money to another retirement account..' and 'I rolled over all of this money to an IRA or other retirement account'  (see screenshot).

This will make it non-taxable income on your return. 

Generally, when a retirement account is disbursed for a QDRO the ex-spouses will each treat it as a non-taxable rollover. 

Here's more info:

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-qdro-qualified-dome...

Edited 2/12/18 4:22 PM

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Why do you have a 1099-R if it is being sent to her?    Did you also take a distribution?
If it is for the same amount, you need to talk to the issuer - you should not receive a 1099-R for a QDRO.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Enter your 1099-R as shown.  The IRS has a copy of it.   Then choose 'I moved the money to another retirement account..' and 'I rolled over all of this money to an IRA or other retirement account'  (see screenshot).

This will make it non-taxable income on your return. 

Generally, when a retirement account is disbursed for a QDRO the ex-spouses will each treat it as a non-taxable rollover. 

Here's more info:

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-qdro-qualified-dome...

Edited 2/12/18 4:22 PM

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

*See Edited answer above*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies