dizhil

Why am I getting "your ira contribution is not permitted"? I don't understand why my earned income is 0?

i'm contributing $5,500 for 2016, which I will deposit into IRA account in Fidelity before April 15, 2017

Anita01

What earned Income have you entered?  If you filed 1099-MISC forms for self-employment, you would need a profit in that business.  It you have no W-2s, and no profit, you have no earned income.

Anita01

dizhil

thank you for your response.  However, isn't earned income equal to the salary noted in W-2#1?  I'm not selfemployed.
Anita01

Earned income would show in Box 1 of your W-2.  If the program is saying you have no W-2 then that means you have not entered the W-2 yet, or that you chose the W-2 belonged to your spouse instead of you.  You would need to go back and edit the W-2 under Federal Taxes, Wages and income to correct that or any other entry error.