Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I put the Medical Insurance amount held from my wife listed on her 1099-R in the account number block?

My wife is a retired state employee and has medical insurance deducted from her retirement check each month. The amount is listed on her 1099-R in the account number block. Where do I list the amount for a decuction?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Where do I put the Medical Insurance amount held from my wife listed on her 1099-R in the account number block?

This amount goes on Schedule A.

To enter health insurance premiums on Schedule A in TurboTax,

1. Click on the Federal Taxes tab.
  2. Below that, select Deductions & Credits.
  3. Select I'll choose what I work on.
  4. Scroll down to Medical and select Medical Expenses.
  5. Work through the pages until you get to Enter Insurance Premiums. Enter the amount from your wife's 1099-R in the box labeled Medical Insurance Premiums.

Whether this amount affects your taxes will depend upon whether you have other expenses to deduct. Medical expenses are deductible only to the extent that they exceed 10% of your AGI (7.5% if you are 65 or older). In order for any of this to count, your total deductions must exceed the standard deduction.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

This amount goes on Schedule A.

To enter health insurance premiums on Schedule A in TurboTax,

1. Click on the Federal Taxes tab.
  2. Below that, select Deductions & Credits.
  3. Select I'll choose what I work on.
  4. Scroll down to Medical and select Medical Expenses.
  5. Work through the pages until you get to Enter Insurance Premiums. Enter the amount from your wife's 1099-R in the box labeled Medical Insurance Premiums.

Whether this amount affects your taxes will depend upon whether you have other expenses to deduct. Medical expenses are deductible only to the extent that they exceed 10% of your AGI (7.5% if you are 65 or older). In order for any of this to count, your total deductions must exceed the standard deduction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies