turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I enter income from a Canadian employment pension (not CPP)

i lived and worked many years in Canada; now retired in US
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

TurboTax can assist you with entering your Canadian Registered Pension benefits (this feature is not available in TurboTax Free Online)

1. Select the "Federal Taxes" tab (for the Home & Business edition, select the "Personal" tab)
  2. Select the "Wages & Income" tab, then press “I’ll choose what I work on” (online editions select “Help me add other income” then select “Jump to the full list”)
  3. Scroll down to the "Retirement Plans and Social Security" section then (online editions select “Show more” if needed) then press “Start” or “Update” (online editions “Start or Revisit”) "Canadian Registered Pension Income"
  4. TurboTax will ask you about your Canadian Pension Benefits on a series of screens. Answer the questions on each screen. TurboTax will guide you through what is needed to record your Pension income. Press “Continue” after finishing your entries on each screen until you return to "Canadian Retirement Summary" screen
  5. If you have another pension to enter, press "Add a Canadian Retirement Plan" and answer the questions about the plan(s)
  6. When you are done entering your Canadian Pension Benefits, press "Done" on the "Canadian Retirement Summary" screen

this did not answer my question. When I followed the steps given in the reply, everything pertained to RRIFs, not to private pensions from an employer for work done while living in Canada.

You can report it as other income on Sch 1  line 8. Here's how to enter it in TurboTax.

• Click the Federal Taxes tab ( Personal in the Home & Business version)
  • Click Wages & Income. (Personal income in the H & B version)
  • On the screen "Your 2019 Income Summary," scroll all the way down to the last section, "Less Common Income."
  • Click the Start or Update button for the last topic, "Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C."
  • On the next screen, "Let's Work on Any Miscellaneous Income," scroll down and click the Start or Update button for the last topic, "Other reportable income."
  • The next screen asks, "Did you receive any other taxable income." Click Yes.
  • On the next screen, "Other Taxable Income," enter a description and the amount. Click Continue.
  • On the next screen click Done.

The income will be reported on Sch 1 line 8 with the description that you entered.

roscr
Returning Member

For the canadian registered pension income the form asks for total distribution and taxable part of distribution, whats the difference

roscr
Returning Member

is the foreign tax withheld from a registered canadian pension distribution taxable 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies