To enter, change or delete a form 1099-R
- Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
- Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
- Click on I'll choose what I work on
- Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
- On IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R), click the start or update button
If you are filing a Joint return be sure to pick which person it is for.
If box 2a is zero or says unknown then leave it BLANK
After you enter the 1099R be sure to answer all the follow up questions on the next screens to determine how much is taxable or not. Go all the way to the end of the section. You have to enter it from the 1099R because there are codes on it you need to enter properly.
See this article on how to enter a 1099R
Use these steps to get started. After you have entered the Form 1099-R, be sure to go through all the follow-up questions.
- On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
- This opens a box where you can type in “1099-R” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
- The search results will give you an option to “Jump to 1099-R”
- Click on the blue “Jump to 1099-R” link
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"