turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When will the retirement income area be completed?

I have 2020 Turbo Tax but can't enter my data for retirement income.  When will it be ready?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

The IRS is drafting new 1099R forms.  Then the software has to be programmed for them, and the IRS has to test and approve of the software.  It is a complex process because of the all the CARES changes.  It could even be a couple of months.  Meanwhile if you are trying to plan, if you have desktop for 2019 use the what if feature--but it will not have that CARES stuff.

Click on the REVIEW tab to see what form(s) you are waiting for and when it is estimated to be ready (when operational) ... 

IRS Forms Availability Table for TurboTax Individual (Personal) Tax Products

·         

State Forms Availability Table for TurboTax Individual (Personal) Tax Products

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
RBH2020

I have experienced the same problem, receiving a message that "The Retirement Area Will be Ready Soon". (As recently as this morning, with version 2020.r09.025, update installed 12/19).  A colleague has the same version installed and is able to create/ enter data for 1099-R.  So, it confounds me, why two supposedly identical software builds are acting differently.  (Note: we are both running on Mac computers with Big Sur operating sys

Maybe he is entering his 1099R a different way, like directly entering it into the Forms Mode.  You can switch to Forms to enter it.

RBH2020

VG -

Thanks so much for the quick reply.  Using forms input worked perfectly and answered my question.  I think the flag that popped up advising me to work on other parts of my return ("congratulations ...you're doing great...now go work on something else....") was not very helpful.  It implied that I had no recourse but to wait for some unidentified time for IRS to issue some other documents.  At any rate, forms input was perfect, especially since I imported 2019 data into my return, which established the needed structure.

RBH

P.S.  You were right, that is exactly what he was doing.

Walt168

Retirement income area not ready here it's 2/12/2021 and I have had my 1099-R's for two weeks and I can't complete my taxes waiting for update. Time to find new software after so many years.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

No software will have Form 8915-E yet that is used to report retirement plan distributions under the CARES act .  The IRS has not yet finalized Form 8915-E, so this form cannot be included in the TurboTax program.  You will not be able to proceed until the form is available.

The IRS has not communicated when the form will be finalized for inclusion on the 2020 federal tax return.

You can watch this link for the form availability.  Currently, the form is not listed here since there is no estimated date.  Once there is, you will find the form listed with the date available.  

IRS forms availability table for TurboTax individual (personal) tax products

Please sign-up here and we will email you once the form is live.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Turbotax now indicates February 24, and that the form will be e-filable.  The FAQ has been updated. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-getting-getting-a-10-penalty-on-my-1099-r...

However, be aware that updates are sometimes applied in the afternoon or evening rather than the morning. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies