• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
colaivf

When I add my Roth IRA, I'm told I contributed too much because "earned income was only zero." My W2 form shows income is definitely not zero. How to fix on TurboTax?

I contributed $5,500 to my Roth IRA.

My earned income is close to $20,000

Why is TurboTax calculating my earned income as zero on the Roth contribution page?

How can I fix this?

Please see attached screenshots.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
VolvoGirl
Level 15

When I add my Roth IRA, I'm told I contributed too much because "earned income was only zero." My W2 form shows income is definitely not zero. How to fix on TurboTax?

Glad I could help.  Thanks for posting back.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
maglib
Level 10

[removed]
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

@maglib look at the screenshot again. It shows W-2 income, and the self-employment section hasn't been entered into yet. My guess is, they're filing a joint return and incorrectly identified the W-2 as belonging to their spouse. So as far as the program is concerned, the poster of this thread has no income at all.
VolvoGirl
Level 15

Yes be sure both the W2 and IRA contribution are assigned to the same person.
colaivf

I'm filing as single
Opus 17
Level 15

"Earned income" is income subject to social security tax (FICA and/or self-employment tax).  Are you exempt from social security for some reason (clergy, etc.)?
*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
colaivf

@Carl, @maglib & @VolvoGirl , - feels like a program error, - where do I turn for help?
colaivf

@Opus 17 - not exempt from social security
VolvoGirl
Level 15

Do you have any other kind of income?  Like Foreign income?
colaivf

@VolvoGirl  - No other income
VolvoGirl
Level 15

Try deleting the W2 and re-enter it.  That may clear something out.
Opus 17
Level 15

It's hard to trouble shoot the online version because you can't print the forms or worksheets until after you pay the fee, or after you file if you are using the free version, and free version users aren't entitled to phone support.  You could upgrade to the Plus version and then try and call support, they can do a screen share and look at the details of your file to see where the error is.  Maybe you entered box 3 of your W-2 incorrectly.  If self-employed, you might be showing a loss due to errors in the data entry.  We can't rule out a bug, either, although your problem has not been commonly reported recently.
*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
Opus 17
Level 15

If previously married and now filing single, your spouse is still built into the program.  It is recommended that you abandon this return and open a new account with a new user name and password.  It's difficult to eradicate a spouse from an existing account.
colaivf

Well done @VolvoGirl! I deleted W2 and reentered it, - everything fixed itself! Thank you everyone else for their ideas and help!
VolvoGirl
Level 15

Glad I could help.  Thanks for posting back.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v