Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mannavich

When answering question about contribution made in 2018 for 2019 it adds to amount on W2 in box 12d. Do I simply skip the question?

Box 12d on W2 shows $2050.  Form 5498-SA box 2 shows 1,850 for contributions made in 2018.  Box 3 shows $200 for contributions made in 2019 for 2018. When I answer question about contributions made in 2019 for 2018 on Form 5498-SA it increases HSA contribution to 2,250.  What do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When answering question about contribution made in 2018 for 2019 it adds to amount on W2 in box 12d. Do I simply skip the question?

When you say "When I answer question about contributions made in 2019 for 2018 on Form 5498-SA", I don't know what you mean, because there is no such question - that is, there is no such question as asks for the amount of contributions from the 5498-SA.

There IS a question that asks if your employer told you about any contributions not for the current year, and when you say "yes", it exposes three more lines, one of which is enter any amount of contributions that your employer made in 2019 for 2018. Is this the line you are referring to?

This $200 - did you make a direct contribution to your HSA in 2019 for 2018? If so, the line above is the wrong place to enter it. You enter this $200 instead as a "personal" contribution on the "Let's enter [name]'s HSA contributions" (see screenshot below) on the second line.

If, however, the $200 was indeed made by your employer in 2019 for 2018, then enter it on the "any amount of contributions that your employer made in 2019 for 2018."

You need to look into the transaction log for your HSA. The HSA is yours, not your employer's, and the activity log for your HSA is probably available online at your HSA custodian's website.

Compare what you see in the activity log to your W-2 - does the total of your deposits in 2018 add up to $2050 like on the W-2 or to $1,850 like in box 2 of the 5498-SA? IS it possible that the $200 was an employer deposit in 2019 for 2018 but the employer listed it in the code W amount on the W-2? It does happen that an employer adds contributions in one year for their purposes, but the HSA adds the amount to a different year (say, if the employer makes the deposit on December 30, but the HSA doesn't report it until January 2nd).

In any case, the most likely outcome is that the employer reported it in the code W amount but the HSA thinks it's a 2019contributions for 2018. If you discover that the $200 2019 contribution for 2018 was included in the code W amount, then don't add the extra $200 anywhere - because it's already in the code W amount.

If this is not the case, see if you can figure out what happened when you compare the activity log to the reported numbers.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

When you say "When I answer question about contributions made in 2019 for 2018 on Form 5498-SA", I don't know what you mean, because there is no such question - that is, there is no such question as asks for the amount of contributions from the 5498-SA.

There IS a question that asks if your employer told you about any contributions not for the current year, and when you say "yes", it exposes three more lines, one of which is enter any amount of contributions that your employer made in 2019 for 2018. Is this the line you are referring to?

This $200 - did you make a direct contribution to your HSA in 2019 for 2018? If so, the line above is the wrong place to enter it. You enter this $200 instead as a "personal" contribution on the "Let's enter [name]'s HSA contributions" (see screenshot below) on the second line.

If, however, the $200 was indeed made by your employer in 2019 for 2018, then enter it on the "any amount of contributions that your employer made in 2019 for 2018."

You need to look into the transaction log for your HSA. The HSA is yours, not your employer's, and the activity log for your HSA is probably available online at your HSA custodian's website.

Compare what you see in the activity log to your W-2 - does the total of your deposits in 2018 add up to $2050 like on the W-2 or to $1,850 like in box 2 of the 5498-SA? IS it possible that the $200 was an employer deposit in 2019 for 2018 but the employer listed it in the code W amount on the W-2? It does happen that an employer adds contributions in one year for their purposes, but the HSA adds the amount to a different year (say, if the employer makes the deposit on December 30, but the HSA doesn't report it until January 2nd).

In any case, the most likely outcome is that the employer reported it in the code W amount but the HSA thinks it's a 2019contributions for 2018. If you discover that the $200 2019 contribution for 2018 was included in the code W amount, then don't add the extra $200 anywhere - because it's already in the code W amount.

If this is not the case, see if you can figure out what happened when you compare the activity log to the reported numbers.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies