turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wahllasik

What is the taxable amount on my $370 gross distribution from my 2015 Roth IRA? Is it simply $37 (10% penalty) since it was an excess removal after the deadline?

I mistakenly removed the $370 after the deadline, forgetting that I'd already addressed my $370 excess 2015 Roth IRA contribution before the deadline by removing $247.68 (adjusted for a loss).
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

What is the taxable amount on my $370 gross distribution from my 2015 Roth IRA? Is it simply $37 (10% penalty) since it was an excess removal after the deadline?

The $370 that you took out is a regular distribution from your Roth IRA(s).  Enter it as you would any regular distribution.  It has nothing to do with your excess contribution and its return.

Be sure to click the Continue button on the Your 1099-R Entries page and enter or confirm your basis in Roth IRA contributions and conversions (not to include the $370 contribution that you had returned before the due date of your tax return).  Regular contributions come out first, tax and penalty free.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

The $370 that you took out is a regular distribution from your Roth IRA(s).  Enter it as you would any regular distribution.  It has nothing to do with your excess contribution and its return.

Be sure to click the Continue button on the Your 1099-R Entries page and enter or confirm your basis in Roth IRA contributions and conversions (not to include the $370 contribution that you had returned before the due date of your tax return).  Regular contributions come out first, tax and penalty free.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies