Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chrmora

What is the earliest date that I could use $10k from my IRA (without 10% early withdrawal penalty) for home purchase if I sold my previous house on 6/30/15?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

What is the earliest date that I could use $10k from my IRA (without 10% early withdrawal penalty) for home purchase if I sold my previous house on 6/30/15?

With 6/30/2015 being the last date on which you had an ownership interest in the previous home, 6/30/2017 is the earliest date that you can acquire a new home as a first-home purchaser with regard to the penalty exception.  You would want to make the distribution slightly before the closing date, but you cannot make it more than 120 days before the closing date and still qualify for the exception.

If you wanted to push the limits (with almost 100% certainty that you will not qualify as a first-time homebuyer due to the high likelihood of missing the necessary closing date), the distribution could be made tomorrow, 3/6/2017, for a closing between 6/30/2017 (2-years after you last owned a home) and 7/4/2017 (120 days after the 3/6/2017 distribution).  However, with regard to a distribution on 3/6/2017, if your closing is originally scheduled for between 6/30/2017 and 7/4/2017 but it becomes apparent that your closing will be delayed beyond 7/4/2017, you have until 7/4/2017 to roll the distribution back into an IRA.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

With 6/30/2015 being the last date on which you had an ownership interest in the previous home, 6/30/2017 is the earliest date that you can acquire a new home as a first-home purchaser with regard to the penalty exception.  You would want to make the distribution slightly before the closing date, but you cannot make it more than 120 days before the closing date and still qualify for the exception.

If you wanted to push the limits (with almost 100% certainty that you will not qualify as a first-time homebuyer due to the high likelihood of missing the necessary closing date), the distribution could be made tomorrow, 3/6/2017, for a closing between 6/30/2017 (2-years after you last owned a home) and 7/4/2017 (120 days after the 3/6/2017 distribution).  However, with regard to a distribution on 3/6/2017, if your closing is originally scheduled for between 6/30/2017 and 7/4/2017 but it becomes apparent that your closing will be delayed beyond 7/4/2017, you have until 7/4/2017 to roll the distribution back into an IRA.

dmertz
Level 15

Note that the ability to roll the distribution over after 60 days but no more than 120 days after the distribution is received requires that closing be delayed or canceled.  I don't see that the extension to 120 day would apply if there was never a contract to make the purchase.  Without a contract, there is no way to substantiate any intent to make the purchase, so there would be no delay or cancellation.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies